The New Haven Board of Alderman will be holding a public meeting to discuss the implementation of the proposed new Stormwater Authority on Thursday, 3/17. If the plan is implemented, EVERY building owner in the city will be levied a tax (they are calling it an "assessment" to avoid the "t" word). It will start off small, but it's very likely that the fees will go up dramatically over the next few years.
1. A letter that specifially addresses our concerns with this proposal is attached in both English and Spanish. Please downlaod them and read through to undertstand why we have an issue.
2. Please announce to your congregations that we will be showing up in numbers at the meeting of the Board of Aldermen this coming Thursday, March 17th. The meeting begins at 6PM, but we would like as many people as possible to show up at 5. It is imperative that we have a (very) large number of people show up. We are church members, but we also represent a significant number of VOTERS. They need to SEE that reality.
3. A petition is attached. Please print it out and as all of your New Haven residents and/or Property owners (including your signature to represent your church) to sign it THIS SUNDAY!!!! Here is the link to the petition:
4. It is essential that our aldermanic representatives know that we're here and that we have a voice. Please encourage all of your New Haven resident members to contact their repsresentative by email and or/phone simply to say something like this:
The proposal to levy a water drainage assessment upon nonprofits including faith-based establishments is not prudent. As social services funded by the public sector are being severely cut back and even eliminated, the demand for work and services offered by nonprofits is only heightened. The city needs us now more than ever. We feed, clothe, house, teach, counsel, encourage, and facilitate rehabilitation of those in need as a matter of course. The more difficult the times, the more people look to us for help. I am opposed to what amounts to taxation of nonprofit entities including the church.
Here's a link to the list of current of aldermen and their contact information. Please print it out and encourage your members to call, email, flood facebook, etc.
For your convenience, here is a list of all of their email addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
5. Pastors and Senior Clergy, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, please make plans to drop by my office to sign either the English or the Spanish version of the letter before Thursday. We want YOU as an individual to be included as someone in leadership who cares about this issue.
The timleline is VERY tight. Please, we need you to act NOW! Thank you and God Bless You!
On behalf of concerned New Haven Clergy,
Rev. Todd Foster (203) 498-2687